RL Conference: Lock Lane’s big finish takes them above Lions

Action from Lock Lane's win at Oulton Raiders. Picture: Simon Hall
Action from Lock Lane's win at Oulton Raiders. Picture: Simon Hall

place in Division One of the National Conference when they came back from Oulton Raiders with a 31-18 victory.

The Castleford side showed their fitness and belief as they produced a strong finish to ensure they took the points.

The Raiders were only 19-18 behind with eight minutes left, having registered a Dom Flanagan brace, an Adrian Holdsworth try, and three Jordan Gale goals.

But Lock Lane prevailed with late tries for Craig Savage and Lewis Price, with Connor Turner adding the last two of his five-from-five conversions.

Mitchell Platt, Danny Sowerby and Craig Jones crossed earlier for the visitors, Sowerby also landing a drop-goal.

Lock Lane are back at home this Saturday when they face Pilkington Recs (kick-off 2.30pm).

Featherstone Lions dropped below Lock Lane into fourth place – with a game in hand – following a 35-12 home defeat to Milford Marlins that ended their five-match winning run.

Lions gave a poor display and the visitors made them pay the price as they ran out easy winners in the end.

It was a tight first half, however, with the Marlins only 8-6 up at the break before their bigger pack took control.

At times it looked like a few Featherstone players did not want to know when the going got tough. Poor options and too many people getting bumped off in the tackles led to Milford running away with the game in the end.

Signs of what was to come were there early with Scott Wilson having to make a try saving tackle before Milford moved the ball out wide to score the first try, which was converted.

Brendon Gibbins and Dean Gamble defended well for the hosts as Milford piled on more pressure.

Wilson eased it as he made a fine run and James Parry made a impact on his entry to the fold after his strong run was halted close to the Milford line.

Scott Glassell’s fine pass then sent Gibbins over the line and Ian Jackson’s conversion levelled the score.

Conner Paver made a fine take from a bomb before parting to Jackson who made some good yards.

Gamble came up with a big hit which had the Milford half-back wincing with pain as he hit the ground. Davi Garahan then split open the visitors defence before parting to Ben Brailsford who stumbled inches short of the line.

Milford survived and hit back as Martin Loveridge kicked a penalty goal to nudge them 8-6 ahead at half-time.

The visitors got the start to the second half they wanted as a Lions fumble from a bomb led to a try from the resulting scrum. The conversion took them out to eight points ahead and there was no looking back for Milford.

Soon after the Marlins went over in the corner for another try with Lions beginning to crumble.

Some abysmal defence led to a converted try that put the visitors 24-6 up to virtually seal the game for Milford.

Gamble, Jackson, Gibbins and Wilson tried to rally the Lions, but their opponents put the game beyond them with another converted try.

Featherstone showed glimpses of what they could do and Gibbins, who had his best game of the season, made a fine run. Tom Carr went close before Scott Glassell went over for a try to which Jackson added the extras.

Milford responded with a drop-goal and after the Lions had a man sin-binned the visitors went over for a last minute try to finish off worthy winners.

Lions will want to forget this game quickly and get back to winning ways as they visit Shaw Cross Sharks this Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm. They are hoping to have one or two men back.

Lions team manager Keith Bell would like to thank Allan Agar and John Carey who sponsored the game with Marlins.