Royals battle hard against leaders

Stuart Biscomb was on the scoresheet for Methley. Picture: Kris Whitfield.
Stuart Biscomb was on the scoresheet for Methley. Picture: Kris Whitfield.

Battling Methley Royals emerged with credit from Saturday’s 30-10 home defeat against unbeaten Pennine League Division One leaders West Leeds.

West Leeds made it nine wins from nine league games but they were made to fight hard by Methley who had scrum-half Kris Ward making his first appearance of the season.

The Royals, who also had Gareth Skerrett stepping in at hooker and were obliged to switch packman Lee Starbuck to stand-off in the absence of several regulars, kept West Leeds at bay until the 25th minute when Andy Smith crossed.

Methley then suffered a hammer blow when Dale Barker went over in the closing stages of the first half.

Liam Copland, who converrted both tries, added a penalty early in the second period and the visitors established a real grip when Todd Binns scampered over as the hour approached, Copland again adding the extras.

Methley, to their credit, had the better of the final quarter, with centres Daniel Westmoreland and Brett Gledhill and full-back Ryan Meah, impressing.

Loose forward Stu Biscomb opened Methley’s account and Starbuck converted.

Although Biscomb sent second row Ryan Kelsey over for a further try, Alex Brier had touched down between times for West Leeds, who closed on a high with Binns’ second try and Copland’s fifth goal.

Methley host Keighley Albion in the BARLA National Cup first round on Saturday (2pm).

Cutsyke Raiders earned an honourable 18-18 draw at Boothtown Terriers in Division One.

Cusyke started slowly and conceded a try but they hit back when captain Lee Cartwright scored direct from a scrum after 19 minutes. Hooker Luke Metcalfe added the conversion.

The Castleford side then enjoyed a 15 minute spell camped in Boothtown’s half.

However, the home side scored next when Cutsyke’s shaky midfield defence allowed them to grab another unconverted try to lead 8-6 at the break.

Cutsyke started the second-half in a positive mood and enterprising play from half backs Ryan Martin and Craig Savage saw second-rower Chris Singer go over at the corner after 46 minutes. Metcalfe kicked the angled goal to put Cutsyke 12-8 up before he retired through injury.

The Raiders’ forwards edged the battle against bigger counterparts but the home side’s backline were a little too quick for the Raiders and they levelled at 12-12 with an unconverted try on the sixth tackle. With 11 minutes left, Singer bagged his second try after swift handling released him in space on the outside.

Danny Noon kicked a touchline goal to make it 18-12 but the Raiders couldn’t hold out and with four minutes left, poor defensive positioning in midfield saw Boothtown square matters with a converted try.

Best for the Raiders were Nathan Pincher, Cartwright and Singer.

Youngster Mitchell Platt made several timely kick returns before retiring late in the game from ill health.

Raiders host Sharlston Rovers A on Saturday (2pm).